Wednesday, July 13, 2016

FLUENCY DISORDER (STUTTERING)

I first thought that I would practice stuttering with my husband because I never tried to stutter before. That was a good and bad idea. I realized that when trying to do something I am not good at, I begin to laugh. I didn't want to laugh in real life because I didn't want it to see like a joke. I tried stuttering in front of a mirror and that helped more. but I was nervous to stutter in front of a stranger. Well I went to the restaurant Wendy's and tried ordering a Jr. bacon cheeseburger. I then asked what came on the cheese burger. The employee was nice and waited for me to finish but seemed very confused at first as to why I was talking like that. They had a concerned look on their face and it made me feel embarrassed. I don't think I was the best at stuttering, and It probably came off as being incompatant than just having a fluency disorder. But I tried my best. I then went to the library on campus and asked a student working there, where to find a certain book. I felt embarressed because they cracked a smile when I first started talking. I don't think they had been exposed to a lot of people with disabilities before. I think they thought I was joking with them. But then they became serious and focused. They were staring at me in shock and awe that I was stuttering my words. After I finished, they helped me find my book but hurried on their way. I think I scared them..... It was a very interesting experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment