Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Service Learning

When I went to go do the service learning, I was nervous to go because I went by myself. But once I got there, I actually had a lot of fun. I went with a group out into the community. There was another worker and then two adults with disabilities. We first headed to the dollar store and that was interesting because we looked in the store for a good hour before checking out. The two adults with disabilities were very high functioning. I thought  that it was really nice to have a conversation with them and be able to ask the questions about their lifestyle. The one woman worked at a hotel cleaning rooms and the other man worked at Arby's. I thought it was great that they were working and still tried to do their part. After the dollar store, we went to Walmart and walked around there, they practiced talking to the employees and asking them questions. I thought that this was a great way to introduce them to new situations. We then headed back to the building once again and I had the opportunity to sit in on a class. But this wasn't a typical class that I thought I would be sitting in on. When I was observing the class, we talked about politics and worldly issues. I thought this was interesting because they knew more about what was going on in the world than what I thought. They really understood problem going on in society. I was very impressed with them and the way they communicated. After we had the class, we went to the main room and then watched a movie for a little bit. But I mostly kept talking to the adults there and we worked on a puzzle. I really enjoyed my experience volunteering there.

No comments:

Post a Comment