Wednesday, July 13, 2016

ORTHOPEDIC IMPAIRMENT

For SPED310, We were assigned to be in a wheelchair for four hours so that we would put our selves in someone's shoes. We could see what it was like to have a disability and have to be in a wheel chair. To be honest, I was very nervous about being in a wheel chair, I was afraid what people would think of me and how I would move around. I procrastinated as long as a could because I was scared but finally realized I had to do it and get the courage. I didn't realize how hard it would be to be in a wheelchair. I started out in the Hinkley and went down the elevator. It took a really long time to have the elevator come and get to the floor I needed. I started down the hill outside of the Hinkley and that was the scariest part of the whole time I was in the wheelchair. As I started down the hill, I was picking up too much speed and when I went to grab the handrails, My hands were on fire. I couldn't grasp on tightly to stop myself and I ran into the tri-fold news stand. That hurt pretty bad. I tried adjusting myself and realized that I hadn't even made it down the steepest part of the hill yet. Luckily I remembered that I had my work shirt in my backpack, I grabbed it and used it on the wheel and held it with my hand to help me slow down. I made it down the hill but with some difficulty. I was heading to my next class in the clark and went to the wrong side of the building, I realized there was no automatic button. But silly thought that I could open the door on my own. I tried opening the door and bumped around quite a bit. A girl sitting right on the inside of the building noticed me struggling and came to my rescue. Sadly, once inside the building, I noticed a set of stairs with no way around them! Duh!!! I went the wrong way of course, I had to go back the other way and exit the building and then go around. I had to travel up hill in order to get to the other door. Luckily this side had the automatic door opening. I went to my classes for the day and a lot of people were actually sincerely concerned about my well being which I thought was sweet. I then Not only went to the bathroom once for the requirement of the project but I had to go multiple times because I am pregnant and cannot hold it at all. I went to the bathroom multiple times and it was a true struggle, It took me triple the time to use the bathroom because of having to get on and off of the chair. But I headed back to return the wheel chair because My time was up. I then realized that I would have to make my way back up the hill because I had to head to the Hinkley. The hill was huge!! I barely started up the slope from the smith and I was trying to push my way up but because it was so steep, I was hardly budging an inch. I was really embarrassed because it was passing period and there were  alot of people walking past me. I just wanted to disappear. Luckily, There a sweet girl that asked if I wanted a push, I politely refused because she was heading the opposite way of the Hinkley, She refused my poliet no thanks, she pushed me all the way up the hill to the Hinkley, I felt so bad that she was pushing me when I was fully capable. of walking. But It was so sweet of her to help me when I needed help. This experience has shown me that I am very blessed. I think that This has really opened my eyes and shown me how People feel when they are at a different level. I realized how much respect we need to give those that are in wheelchairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment